As an ambassador for the Billion Oyster Project, you will learn more about the inner-workings of each of our programs, while build career skills and work experience in your interested program.
You will have the opportunity to provide outreach at educational and foodie events, support our field team at our reef sites, engage students in our educational programming and help facilitate our community science trainings and volunteer days.
– Flexible field opportunities!
– BOP gear
– Opportunity to attend BOP/NY Harbor School fundraiser events (based on performance)
– Build career skills and experience in education, outreach, public speaking and leadership
– Networking opportunities
– Enjoy an awesome work environment on the NY Harbor waterfront
– Working with an awesome, dedicated & fun team!
– Knowing your work is contributing to the restoration of our local natural resource
Love talking about cool things? Help our outreach team, bring the wonder and excitement of oysters to NYC’s communities!
– Attend outreach events, festivals, educational fairs and oyster foodie socials
– Engage the public on ways they can get involved with BOP
– Educate the public on NY Harbor’s ecosystem, importance of oysters and how they can experience our marine environment!
Qualifications: Must have a great personality and enjoy talking with the public and youth
Reefs Field Team
Enjoy the great outdoors? Work with our “Reefs” team as they install and monitor more oyster reefs and engage communities in the fun!
– Support reef installations and monthly monitoring
– Lead wild oyster surveying
– Provide BOP outreach to community reef neighborhoods
– Support community partners in monitoring programs
– Help facilitate public monitoring events
Qualifications: Must enjoy field work, feel comfortable on boats and getting dirty
Citizen Science & School Educational Field Team
Enjoy working with students? Support BOP teachers applying BOP curriculum in the field.
– Help facilitate Oyster Restoration Station (ORS) Trainings with teachers and citizen scientists
– Support BOP teachers during ORS expeditions
Qualifications: Must enjoy working with students and comfortable with muddy fieldwork
Volunteer Program Field Team
Enjoy working with public groups? Work with our public programs team as they engage volunteers in hands-on oyster restoration work
– Help lead and facilitate BOP volunteer days on Governors Island and Community Reef Sites
Qualifications: Must have a great personality and enjoy field work & working with students and adults
If you are interested in long-term volunteering, complete this form submit your current availability and areas of interest!
As you grow within our volunteer program you progress to the ambassador level!
Sign up for our newsletter and stay updated!
There are many other opportunities to get out and experience NYC’s waterfront and be a part of oyster restoration. Sign up for our newsletter to stay updated on volunteer days, community science trainings, events and more!
If you are a Registered Teacher, please login here:
If you have not already registered as a teacher, click here.
Username or E-mail: